Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Find quick answers to your questions in this section.

» Accreditation
» Address, Email, or Telephone Number Changes
» Attendance
» Cancelled Courses
» Courses: Numbering System, Full-time or Part-time status, Maximum Credits
» English as a Second Language
» Grades and Final Exams
» Grading Options
» Health Insurance
» Mathematics Assessment Exam
» UH Number, Email and ID Card
» Prerequisites
» Residency Requirements
» TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
» Transcripts
» Transfer Credits
» Visas


Is UHM accredited?
Yes. UHM is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). address: Association of Senior Colleges and Universities, 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, tel: (510) 748-9001, fax: (510) 748-9797, email:, web:

Does UHM use the semester or quarter system?
UHM is on a semester system. One semester credit is the equivalent of 1.5 quarter credits.

Email, Mailing Address or Telephone Number Changes

How can I forward my email address?
Important information is sent to your UH email address. Check your email regularly. If you prefer to use another email address, don't forget to forward your email.

To forward your email to a preferred email address, go to the ITS Google@UH Email page and follow the instructions listed there. If you need assistance, contact the ITS Help Desk at (808) 956-8883 or

How can I update my mailing address or telephone number?
To update your current or permanent mailing address and phone numbers:

  • MyUH Services: Login. Select Student Services Menu, click on the Personal Information tab, and click on View/Update My Address(es) and Phone(s).


Would it be okay to miss the first day of class?
No. Plan to attend class from the first day of instruction. Attendance may affect your final course grade.

What happens if I cannot complete my course requirements? Can I get an Incomplete grade?
Request your instructor's approval for an Incomplete grade. If you receive an "I" grade, complete your work no later than:

November 1 for spring extension, summer, or summer extension courses
April 1 for fall extension courses

If the work is not completed by these dates, your undergraduate course "I" grade will be changed to an alternate grade assigned by the instructor.

Cancelled Courses

How will I know whether my course is cancelled by the University?
Check your schedule online on MyUH. If you are a visiting mainland student, do this BEFORE you commence travel to Hawaiʻi. Checking your course schedule often for errors or updates is highly recommended.

If my course is cancelled, do I need to process paperwork to drop the course?

If my course is cancelled, do I receive a refund?
If your course is cancelled, you may select an alternate course. Otherwise, a 100% tuition refund is issued. See more refund information.

top of page

Courses: Numbering System, Full-Time or Part-Time Status, Maximum Credits

How do you number courses at UHM?



Undergraduate Courses



Courses not applicable for credit toward a bachelor's degree



Initial or introductory courses



Second-year courses in a sequence or development in a field of study. 200-level courses that have an explicit college-level course prerequisite count toward the non-introductory credit requirement.



Third- and fourth-year courses in a sequence or first courses in professional curricula. May be accepted by UHM Graduate Division to fulfill graduate degree requirements (petition may be required). Courses numbered 300 or above are upper-division and count toward the non-introductory credit requirement.



Post-baccalaureate courses



Directed Study (Master's Plan B)



Courses applicable toward first professional degrees (, medicine) and in-service training programs in education



Graduate Courses



Thesis Research (Master's Plan A)



Advanced graduate courses



Dissertation Research

How many credits is considered full-time in the Fall and Spring Extension terms?
For instructions on how to request an official verification of your student enrollment status contact the Records Office at (808) 956-8010 or email

Fall and Spring Extension
Undergraduate Students: 12 credits
Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Students: 8 graduate-level credits

Please contact Financial Aid Services for more information on their full-time/half-time enrollment eligibility requirement.

University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
Financial Aid Services

Queen Lili‘uokalani Center for Student Services
2600 Campus Road, Room 112
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7251

What are the recommended maximum number of credits?
UH-Mānoa undergraduate students enrolled in regular Fall or Spring courses and/or Outreach College Fall extension or Spring extension term courses should not register for more than 19 total credits in the Fall or Spring regular and/or extension terms. Graduate students should not enroll in more than 16 total credits.

top of page

English as a Second Language

If English is not my native language, may I enroll in Outreach College?
If English is not your native language and you have never attended a regular term (fall or spring) at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa, we evaluate your English skills before you enroll. All standardized tests must have been taken within the past two years. Please send a document to Outreach College Student Services that verifies one of the following:

  • You have taken the UHM English Language Institute placement examination indicating that you qualified for enrollment;
  • You have a score of 500+ (paper-based), 61+ (internet), or 173+ (computer-based) TOEFL exam taken within the last two years;
  • You have a score of 460 or higher on the verbal section of the GRE;
  • You have a score of 510 or higher on the Critical Reading AND Writing sections of the SAT;
  • You have a score of 22 or higher on the English AND Reading sections of the ACT;
  • You have an overall score of 5.0 or higher on the IELTS;
  • You have an Associate of Arts degree from a community college within the University of Hawai'i system;
  • Completed an ENG 100 equivalent course from a regionally accredited U.S. institution with a "D" or higher grade;
  • You have completed 60 transferable semester credits with a GPA of 2.0 or higher from a university whose academic standing is recognized by the University of Hawai'i and where English is the primary language of instruction;
  • You have completed 6 years of full-time schooling with English as the medium of instruction at a middle school, high school, college, or university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand or the United States, American Samoa or Guam;
  • You have a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited university in the U.S. or a recognized university in Australia, Britain, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland or New Zealand;
  • You have completed at least 3 years of high school in Hawaii with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and 460 or higher on the Critical Reading AND Writing sections of the SAT.

Send the appropriate document(s) to Outreach College Student Services with your UHM Outreach College Credit Application Form, or if not possible, send transcripts or grade reports separately as needed.

top of page

Grades and Final Exams

When are final exams scheduled?
Final examinations are given during the last week of classes for the Extension terms.

How do I receive my grades?
After the end of the Fall, Spring, or Summer extension term, instructors enter grades online via MyUH. To view your grade(s) go to MyUH ( Login. In the left column under the Home tab, Academic Services, Student Records, select "View Grades." Give the instructor a few days to get the grade posted. If your grade does not appear on MyUH, your instructor may not have entered it into the system. If you have any questions about your grade, contact the instructor. If you don't have your instructor's email address, contact the academic department.

Grade Deadlines
Grades should be available in MyUH five (5) working days after the end of the course. If your grade does not appear on MyUH, your instructor may not have entered it into the system or the grade recorded may not have been "rolled" to your transcript record.

See Grade Information for more information.

Grade Options—Credit/No Credit, Audit

What are my grading options for UHM courses?
With a few exceptions MyUH automatically selects the letter grade option when you register online. However for many courses you may select one of three grading options:

  • Letter Grade (+/- grade system); See the UHM catalog for more information.
  • Credit/No Credit (CR/NC= no letter grade given, but credit earned if at least C, not C-, caliber work is performed)
  • Audit (L grade on Transcript)

How much time do I have to change my grading option?
Not much. View the academic calendar for your course. The last date to register (add) is the last day to change grading options.

If I select the CR/NC grading option, can I use the course for my major or as a core course?
No. UHM classified students should note that the CR/NC option is limited to elective courses and is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill UHM college, school, or department nonelective requirements in your major. (Exception: Courses offered for mandatory Credit/No Credit)

Can I transfer a CR/NC course to another college or university?
Contact an advisor at the school you want to transfer the courses to. Before you select the "CR/NC" option for a course, understand that many colleges and universities will not accept CR/NC course grades or will not apply them to degree requirements. Some colleges, graduate and professional schools, employers, and scholarship awarding agencies evaluate a "CR" grade as a "C"grade and a "NC" grade as a "F" grade.

May I audit a course?
If you wish to enroll in a course with "Audit" as the grading option, call Outreach College Student Services office at (808) 956-7221 or email to find out whether the course can be taken for the audit grade option, then get an Audit Approval Form available from the department offering the course. Obtain the instructor's approval on this form. The extent of your classroom participation is determined by the instructor. Audit registration is not accepted by web. You need to register in person, by mail, or fax at the Outreach College. See Contact Information for details.

How much does it cost to audit a course?
Auditing a course costs the same as taking it for credit.

Do audited courses appear on transcript records?
Yes. Audited courses are recorded on UHM transcripts with an "L" grade.

Do audited course credits count towards full-time/part-time status for academic purposes?
No. Audited course credits are not counted when verification of enrollment status forms are processed.

top of page

Health Insurance

Do I need to have health insurance?
Health Insurance is required for all international students enrolled at the University of Hawaiʻi. Health insurance may be purchased in your native country or at the University Health Services, Mānoa office. You can also contact UHSM at (808) 956-8965 or

UH Number, Email address, and ID Card

How do I get an UH Number and UH Email address?
After your application is processed you are assigned a UH number, which Outreach College emails or mails to you. Once admitted you must obtain a UH email address. Go to MyUH, click on "Get a UH username" and follow instructions. If you need assistance creating your password or with your UH username contact the ITS Help Desk by phone at (808) 956-8883 or 1-800-558-2669 or email

Important information from University administrators, offices, and instructors will be sent to your UH email address. Email sent to your UH email account is considered an official channel of communication by the University. Check your email regularly.

Where do I get a UH Student identification (ID) card?
Students registered for Fall Extension, Spring Extension or Summer Extension credit courses are currently not charged student fees however they are eligible to request for a Mānoa One Card at no cost by visiting the ID Office.

View more information about student ID cards on the Campus Center Ticket, Information & ID office website.


How do I know whether the course I want has prerequisites?
Read the course descriptions listed in the UHM catalog. If you have any prerequisite questions or you need an instructor's syllabus, contact the subject Academic Department office) for information.

Who is responsible for being certain I've met prerequisite requirements?
You are.

What do I do if I try to register for a course, but cannot due to a prerequisite problem?
You need to contact the instructor or Academic Department office and ask for permission to register for the course. The appropriate person at the department or college may approve your registration request. If approved, he or she will enter an approval code into the student database that will permit you to register. The department person or the instructor cannot register you for the course. After the approval code is entered, you need to register through the MyUH web site.

If I am a new or returning student, can I get an approval code before I am admitted for the term?
No. Approval codes can only be entered for current students. If you have not been officially admitted for the term, you should wait for your notice of acceptance and your student ID number before asking the academic department for an approval code.

top of page

Residency Requirements

I am a Hawaiʻi resident attending school on the mainland. Do I need to fill out the Residency Section of the Credit Application and possibly the Residency Exemptions Form?
Yes. We need to determine your current residency status. If you have been attending a mainland school as a resident of that state, you are not considered a Hawai'i resident. Official residency can be claimed only in one state.

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)

Do I need to take a TOEFL exam?
TOEFL scores are highly recommended for international students interested in attending Outreach College. If you have taken the TOEFL exam within the past two years and earned a score of 500+ (paper-based), or 61+ (internet), 173+ (computer-based), provide an official copy of your TOEFL score. See more information for international students.

How do I find out more about the TOEFL?
For on campus TOEFL testing information contact the UH-Mānoa Testing office at (808) 956-3454. For up-to-date world-wide TOEFL information, view the TOEFL website (; call: (609) 771-7100; fax: (609) 771-7500; email:; or write to: TOEFL/TSE Services, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151.


Do I need to send a transcript to take Outreach College courses?
Send official transcript(s) only if:

  1. English is not your first language and your TOEFL score is less than 500+ (paper based), 61+ (internet based), or 173+ (computer based)
  2. You have NOT yet obtained your bachelor's degree and your high school diploma or its equivalent is from a non-U.S. secondary educational institution
  3. You have obtained your bachelor's degree from a non-U.S. college or university.

    Official transcripts may be required upon request.

    Send your transcript to:
    Admissions Specialist
    Outreach College
    University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
    2440 Campus Road, Box 447
    Honolulu, Hawai'i 96822

Do not send your transcript for Outreach College to the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Admissions and Records office.

How do I get a transcript of my Outreach College course record?
Transcript requests are handled through the UHM Office of the Registrar. Instructions on how to order transcripts can be found on their website at, or contact the Registrar?s Office at (808) 956-8010 or email

How much do transcripts cost?
Transcripts are $5.00 per copy for a standard request, processed within 5 business days, or $15.00 for a "rush" request processed within 2 business days.

top of page

Transfer Credits

How do I know whether UHM credits will transfer to my home college or university?
Consult your home school advisor. Credits earned at UHM are applicable toward degrees only as determined by your school. Your school may ask for a copy of the course description from the UHM General Catalog ( If you need a more detailed course description or syllabus, contact the instructor. You can get the instructor's email address through the academic department or Outreach College,

How do I transfer my Outreach College course records to my home college or university?
Ask your home school advisor. Usually, you need to send a transcript to your home school. Instructions on how to order transcripts can be found at, or contact the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa Office of the Registar at (808) 956-8010 or email A University HOLD may prevent your transcript from being issued.

back to top

Term Dates

Spring Extension 2020
January 7 – May 10, 2020

Summer 2020
May 20 - August 9, 2019

Contact Us

UHM Outreach College
Sinclair Library 310
2425 Campus Road
Honolulu, HI 96822
Phone: (808) 956-7221