DanceAbility Method Training
Event ID: A14950
Info: Dec 17-21, 2018 • Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri • 10:00am-5:30pm • 5 mtgs • UHM Dance Studio • $300 (Early Bird Special - register by 10/1/18); $350 (Regular) • Course has been approved by the State of Hawaii Workforce Development Division, ETF. For more information and to see if you qualify for funding please click here
With: Alito Alessi
The DanceAbility Method®, developed by Oregon-based dance artist and Guggenheim Fellow Alito Alessi, helps dissolves barriers and connect people with and without disabilities through dance and movement.
The 5-Day DanceAbility intensive training teaches basic DanceAbility exercises and theory for immediate application. Participants learn how to present the DanceAbility method of inclusive dance—a comprehensive approach based on structured movement improvisation.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion and a teaching guide (DanceAbility handbook) after successful completion of the training.
Seminar Topics Include:
- Foundation concepts and exercises of movement improvisation for people of all abilities and disabilities, based on things that all participants can do.
- How to guide people to be aware of their potential for movement and for communication.
- Dance/movement explorations for individuals, partners, and small and large groups that encourage EVERYbody's expression and non-verbal communication.
- How to foster leadership and support in groups that include diverse mental disabilities.
- How to work with adults and children.
- Teaching physicality and touch (inspired largely by Contact Improvisation).
Who Should Participate?
- Dance educators, teachers, therapists, and dancers, who want to share movement improvisation and/or mixed-abilities inclusive dance in their communities.
- Anyone who is interested in an immersion in the DanceAbility method (non-professionals and people with no prior dance experience are welcome to attend).
Outreach College reserves the right to cancel a course with insufficient enrollment. The University of Hawaiʻi and Outreach College are not responsible for any cancellations or change fees assessed by airline and travel agencies.
Alito Alessi is the Artistic Director of DanceAbility International and co-founder of DanceAbility. Alessi has been involved with the evolution of contemporary dance for the past 30 years, and is internationally known as a pioneering teacher and choreographer in the fields of contact improvisation, and dance and disability. He began training teachers in DanceAbility in 1997, and teaches educators in various disciplines how to make their classes more accessible to people with disabilities. He continues to work closely with several integrated dance companies he helped found or start in more than seven countries as a consultant, co–teacher and choreographer.